Assignment 2: Animate a Word
You will make an animated display of a word where each letter of the word moves or otherwise changes appearance.
A learning resource with information about pixels, positioning sprites, and the stage’s x/y coordinate system is here and you can view the fully narrated lesson version in a video. Information in this presentation will be on the quiz.
Start a new Scratch project by clicking the Create button. Click the Tutorials button to see the tutorials choices. Complete the Animate a Name tutorial.
We will use the “Animate a Name” instructions on the Scratch editor, but to preserve student privacy you will not use your name. Choose a word — your favorite sport, adjective, your pet’s name, whatever. No slang.
Complete the steps of the tutorial to finish your project. If you lose them, you can always click the Tutorials button to get them back.
Don’t rush. Take the time to make it your project reflect your creative ideas and personality. Let your light shine!
You do not need to complete every step in the tutorial. You just need to meet the below requirements at a minimum.
Submit your project to the class studio
- Your completed project must have a background other than plain white
- Your project must have a descriptive name
- Your name may not feature in any portion of the project. In particular your name should not be in the project name, and it should not be the animated word.
- A minimum of three sprites (including the individual letters of the word) that move or change costumes using Repeat loops.
- You need to change the name on every sprite to something specific and descriptive
- A minimum of one sound
- Minimum of two scripts that use “when this sprite is clicked” to perform an action when a sprite is clicked.
Additional features to exceed expectations:
To exceed expectations complete both the animated word and the birthday card and make it extra-special by choosing from the following:
- Make every animation feature nested loops: repeat loops inside another repeat loop.
- Include multiple scenes, each with a different stage background, and have your project tell a story that spans the scenes
- Created a custom animated fireworks display at the end of the birthday card. Make a sprite that has several costume changes to animate the effect of the fireworks exploding.
- Add more of everything: make every sprite do something when clicked, each with a different sound effect.
- Make it into a game with a score to achieve. Get creative!